Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Johnny Be Good?

Frankly, I'm sick of this. There is your subjective view-point. Objectively, it is this situation, and Manziel's behavior. I am inclined to predict that he will be the only freshman ever to win the Heisman Trophy. The great plays, the demeanor to stay in the pocket, or to decide to keep a play alive by running has been dwarfed by his “off the field antics.” I'm not going to say, “let a kid be a kid.” We should all know where that gets us. Then why don't we let a popular football player and collegiate athlete live where he belongs: “the lime-light.”

This award was given to “Johnny Football.” Maybe it should have been given to another controversial student-athlete in Manti T'eo? Would the cameras still be following him around. I have a guess that if you beat Alabama on any given day one would gain some publicity. Manziel didn't win the award. Instead, he won notoriety. He has done almost everything wrong, except be himself. I thought our society rewarded that.

“Do the talking on the field.” It is common. “Let others talk while you are off it.” Not so common. Embrace instead of erase. This isn't a matter of stature but of ignorance. Write what you write and watch a kid from afar to make a mistake. I only hope you watch him win. Mr. Football gained success very early. He achieved nothing other than a prestigious award that nobody has ever done. He was young. The production is great and so are the fire-works. But let's leave it to a Saturday. Why don't we begin to criticize on a Sunday? If he makes it there.

We all pretend. Charlatans in the light of a camera with a beverage and a lady by our side. I don't see it. People react to conflict more than peace. These are not rules being broken, it is a life being lived. I'm not romanticizing youth either for all you critics. Instead, criticize yourself. Perhaps the voters are at fault for throwing a trophy at a kid! Do people ever really understand? Let it be. I know that “sophomore slumps” are actually prevalent? Criticize when there is evidence. Nobody can 'tell' Manziel how to act, so why make it an issue?

Perhaps you have nothing better to write about.

No comments: