Friday, April 27, 2012

My Teaching Philosophy

Teaching Philosophy



    I have spent much time in the class room; learning, speaking, and writing.  Along the way I have picked up some great techniques as well as created others.  As an introductory professor for English I believe it’s important to focus on getting students ready for furthering their education by teaching research techniques and broadening vocabulary.
    To solve these two important issues I suggest that students have a mandatory visit to the institution’s library, where we can learn skills on how to research effectively and efficiently.  There is only so much time in a student’s life to be able to learn and to find out the fact necessary to achieve that goal.  Vocabulary concerns are a must.  No matter what discipline these students enter into they must know how to converse with each other and potential employers.  A great way to do this is to have vocabulary tests on Fridays every two weeks.  This gives the student a better chance to learn words quickly, and memorize them as well.
    Another focus–perhaps the most important, is working on writing.  Students will made to learn grammar and syntax; these methods will of course, be taught by reading literature.  In addition, we will focus on templates and teaching how to write resumes.  These are once again important for any discipline the student chooses to go into.  Lastly, I believe that effort, as well as, class participation to be important with satisfying these requirements, which I would effectively use teaching skills that I have been taught during my time as a student and educator. 

No comments: